Thursday 19 March 2009

Business Cardiographic



Continuing with our Out To Lunch Marathon is one of my new favorite things. I am a huge fan of Martin Lewis and his magic. Cardiographic is a staple in my stage show and when I first heard about this smaller business card rising card I was very skeptical. When I saw the DVD only I again was skeptical. Having watched the made the gimmick, I am very happy! The gimmick is a one time build and it will last for a long time if you are a decent arts and crafts person.

You will need to watch the DVD then take a trip to an office supply store. The DVD supports one practice which I don't agree with. Printing your own business cards. NEVER print your own cards. You likely don't fix your own car, deliver your own children or do your own dental work, well don't stop the trend, let professionals, professional print your business cards because that's what professional printers do best. Besides you can get cards printed for as little as 15 dollars for 1000 colour cards front and back. Zooprinting, sign up, its free and they don't bombard you with garbage.

Once you have constructed your gimmick you can use it with any business cards that have white on the back of them. Now part of the DVD explains to have a lot of business cards printed with the card already risen. For anyone who has their own cards already I suggest you do what I did. Go have 2 rubber stamps made for you. They are very small and very inexpensive. I had one for the deck to match the gimmick and one for the risen card. The risen card is red, the rest black, hence the two stamps. Now you an sit down for a few minutes and literally produce a stack of cards. If you are having cards printed for this great! Get the backs printed with the card already risen out of the deck.

The instruction on the DVD is fantastic, including HUGE examples of the components you require to construct your gimmick. There are digital files on the DVD for Winographic and Business Card-iographic. There is always a catch though. As this does require an Out to Lunch cover you need a big ugly Broccoli rubber band or a beautiful Out To Dinner Clip as is mentioned in my review on the Out to Dinner Clip. I highly recommend you purchase this clip for this effect. It's only 15 dollars and will last for years. My biggest problem with this business card rising card, is that the action of the card rising is not done with the cards held stationary, it is done with the cards being held some what awkwardly and moving in a circular direction.







You can see from the above video that the cards are held in a strange way and the motion used by Brian. You can also see the Out to Dinner Clip in action. I do think if you played with some finer points -like the thickness of stock used for the gimmick- you could make a gimmick that would require no motion to cover anything. I enjoy smaller effects that also I do in my larger shows, the main reason being that while in a close up setting I can perform something which is in my stage show and it leads into a very easy conversation about my stage show and how it can work well with the potential client's event.


Oh, and I almost forgot! The reactions are ridiculous! The downside is that everyone will want you to perform it over and over again to get a "magic" business card. Highly recommended from Magikraft for 30 dollars or for 40 dollars which includes Doc's Out to Dinner Clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment